24 replies to this topic

#1 TxFan

TxFan

Gangster-of-Love

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

I was happy to see that James Avery returned as the still unnamed Medical Examiner. He and Brenda have some comical sparring scenes.

I like how his character showed a very human side in the Season 1 episode "Good Housekeeping." That was the episode where Brenda investigates the rape/murder of a teenaged girl. It really shook up Brenda, and Avery's character did what he could to console her.

DOG IS LOVE.

snoopycharliebrownmc0.jpg

TxFan@att.net

#2 Gussiedup

Gussiedup

Closer

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

I remember that scene, Tx. He was very consoling.

I liked this week when he broke the arm from the corpse and handed it to Gabriel. Poor guy looked like he was going to vomit! :girltantrum:
Avatar beautifully created by Sunkrux

#3 witchy's old account

witchy's old account

Closer

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Rabid Michelle Kwan & Kenny Johnson Fan!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

I liked this week when he broke the arm from the corpse and handed it to Gabriel. Poor guy looked like he was going to vomit! :cloud9:

Oh, I remember that! Gabriel HATES dead bodies. He is so repulsed by them.

But I'm glad to see James Avery as the medical examiner. He's such a character, and I enjoy how he interacts with Brenda. He was great in that one episode that you mentioned, but I really like how he reacts to Brenda when she gets in his way during autopsys.

The fill-in medical examiner was funny, too. I'd like to see her again, but not at the expense of James Avery. I'd like to see him out at a crime scene one day. Don't medical examiners visit crime scenes, too?
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>thecloseradmin@witchykitty.com</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>"What she does on ice belongs in the Louvre. ... The music begins and she is in perfect harmony with it. The jumps, the spins, the footwork; all so effortless. She is not point to point; she is everywhere. She is Michelangelo, and the ice is her chapel." - Kirk Wessler on Michelle Kwan, 2003</span>

#4 TxFan

TxFan

Gangster-of-Love

• Administrator
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

Finally, in the third season we learn the Medical Examiner's name, Dr. Crippen. I just rewatched the beginning of Episode 3, and Lt. Tao mentions his name.

DOG IS LOVE.

TxFan@att.net

#5 Gussiedup

Gussiedup

Closer

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Don't mean to disagee with you Tx, but I believe I've heard his name before now(perhaps when Dr. Tan took over and the explanation was that Dr. Crippen was out on leave). I had a Closer moment a few weeks ago (to verify this) when someone gave me a message that there is a Dr. Crippen who lives somewhere in the US vacationing in the area and called ahead to let the ER staff know a family member of his was coming into the ER. Of course, my response was...Oh, he's the ME on The Closer. The ER response: :rolleyes:

#6 TxFan

TxFan

Gangster-of-Love

• Administrator
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

:rolleyes:

;) :girlsad: :girlmad:

DOG IS LOVE.

TxFan@att.net

#7 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, reading, writing, rollerblading, biking, volunteering and I am learning Spanish

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Did anyone notice that Dr. Crippen had a cast on his foot? I wonder what happened to him. I'm thinking maybe this was an injury they did not want to write into the script because I would thiink they would have addressed it...
If you have something to say to me you best get to it.--Brenda in Fatal Retraction

#8 TxFan

TxFan

Gangster-of-Love

• Administrator
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

You're very observant, pltt5287. I didn't notice the cast. I did notice that James Avery seemed to look thinner, and he has more gray than I remember from the last time he was on the show. Maybe he was in a serious accident. I'm just glad he's back. He's perfect in the role.

DOG IS LOVE.

TxFan@att.net

#9 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, reading, writing, rollerblading, biking, volunteering and I am learning Spanish

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

I completely agree. I think he's a great actor and I'm glad to see him back on TV!
If you have something to say to me you best get to it.--Brenda in Fatal Retraction

#10 Gussiedup

Gussiedup

Closer

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Did anyone notice that Dr. Crippen had a cast on his foot?  I wonder what happened to him.  I'm thinking maybe this was an injury they did not want to write into the script because I would thiink they would have addressed it...

I did not see the cast on his foot. Good pick-up pltt5287! What I did notice was how he is rolling himself around from the display board to the corpse. It's not unusal for medical personnel to use stools to roll back and forth around patient's etc. But we move around using our feet or pulling with our arms. He seemed to be moving using some sort of chair similar to a wheelchair the way he was moving.

At that point, I wondered if something happened to him last summer requiring the substitution of Dr. Tan for one episode. Did we see him anymore after that episode? I can't remember. Of course, I wondered if he'd had a stroke, something that would take a while from which to recover. But the pattern of his deficits don't make sense. He can still use his arms and speak well. Perhaps it was a major trauma but it sure did take a long time to recover.

Or perhaps he was on vacation for Dr. Tan's apprearance and the two are not related. For heaven's sake, shut my brain down!

#11 witchy's old account

witchy's old account

Closer

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Rabid Michelle Kwan &amp; Kenny Johnson Fan!

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thank you all for discussing this. I was completely lost- :dunno: I thought maybe I totally spazzed out on a storyline that involved him or something. I didn't see the cast- thanks for catching that! I definately got the impression it was a wheelchair that he was in.

GU, I love your ER stories!
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>thecloseradmin@witchykitty.com</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>"What she does on ice belongs in the Louvre. ... The music begins and she is in perfect harmony with it. The jumps, the spins, the footwork; all so effortless. She is not point to point; she is everywhere. She is Michelangelo, and the ice is her chapel." - Kirk Wessler on Michelle Kwan, 2003</span>

#12 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

I thought maybe I totally spazzed out on a storyline that involved him or something. I didn't see the cast- thanks for catching that!

That's how I felt when I saw him in the cast ( Gu you were right he was in some sort of wheelchair)! I immediately started thinking back to other seasons trying to remember if they alluded to this injury and they did not. I hope he's okay and back to walking around soon! I have been fortunate enough never to break any bones but being in a cast does not look like fun :frown:

#13 Sedgwick_Fan

Sedgwick_Fan

Closer

• Forum Moderator
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

I have been fortunate enough never to break any bones but being in a cast does not look like fun :frown:

You got that right, my friend! I am glad that there are some out there who are so fortunate to have never sustained broken bones. None of my fingers (besides my left thumb) will ever be straight because all have been broken at one point or another (some twice, a few at the same time!) and it is NO fun, especially the fingers because they hurt like a MOTHER! :roflao:

#14 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

None of my fingers (besides my left thumb) will ever be straight because all have been broken at one point or another (some twice, a few at the same time!) and it is NO fun, especially the fingers because they hurt like a MOTHER!  :roflao:

Yeah, I can only imagine how painful it would be to break a bone. Just reading your post made me cringe! The only pain I have to rely on that would be similar is the time I slipped on ice coming out of the house and fell on the back of my head. It totally hurt and I ended up blacking out from the pain and later ended up in the ER.:frown:

I had a concussion, but I was okay. I'm so active that I do not think I could last five minutes with a cast. That would be torture!

#15 m&m

m&m

I Spork, Therefore I Am...

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Just chiming in to say that I'm thrilled our James Avery has returned to this role, too---he's excellent in it, and as entertaining as Dr. Tan was in combo with Terrence, I've become too attached to him to let him go.

I missed the cast, and in a weird way, I'm glad to hear about it, because I did notice the wheelchair and the fact that he didn't seem to look as strong as he used to, and I jumped to much more scary possibilities about what might have been wrong. As painful as it can be, I hope in the end that it is nothing more than a broken bone that has our guy off his feet for a while.

Here's to a swift, quick, very very fast recovery for our Dr. Crippen! :girltantrum: He's a wonderful actor and a perfect fit with the cast.
"Emotionally if you are an artist, not being able to speak your language or to express yourself is like being in purgatory."

~Kyra Sedgwick

"Once again, Fritz holds everyone together."

~James Duff

#16 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

I tried to do some investigating on this issue and I'm not the only one who noticed James' injury. I still can't find out the reason... http://forums.tnt.tv...=3111&tstart=-1

You can see it better in the Grave Doubts episode too!

#17 garfieldlover

garfieldlover

Sergeant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

I did a little research to find out why James Avery is in a wheelchair and wearing a cast on his foot. Apparently he had foot surgery and is still recovering. I found this article which talked about a play he did earlier this year and it also mentioned why he is in a wheelchair.

nc times

#18 Gussiedup

Gussiedup

Closer

• Forum Moderator
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the article, garfieldlover! So, he's revovering from foot surgery! Thank heavens nothing more serious is involved.

#19 ChiTownGirl

ChiTownGirl

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for posting this article. I'm glad its nothing more serious too. I wish I could have seen the play!

#20 abraxas

abraxas

Asst. Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Vintage film (I'm a freak for Old Hollywood)<br /><br />Jazz music, classical music, sweet soul music... Most anykind of music.<br /><br />Hard-boiled fiction: show me a Raymond Chandler novel, I'll show you a happy dame.<br /><br />Turning almost any scenario into something from a Raymond Chandler novel.<br /><br />Trying to be happy.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread more because there's something I've always been curious about in the naming of this character, Dr Crippen.

When I first heard his name, I thought it was supposed to be a joke - but no. I suppose I'm correct in thinking that 'Dr Crippen' doesn't have the same resonance in the U.S. as it does in Britain?

(Dr Crippen - the real one - was a famous murderer, so if you refer to someone, especially a doctor, as 'Crippen' it isn't a compliment. It's ironic at best)

'If I wasn't hard, I wouldn't be alive. If I couldn't ever be gentle, I wouldn't deserve to be alive.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users